Nuffnang Ad

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Kwentong PEYUPS

It has been a while since I last came back to my alma mater, University of the Philippines or PEYUPS as she is fondly called.  So when I saw the ad for the Rev UP:  The 18th Diliman Motor Show it presented an opportunity to finally get back to the roots of my college education (6 years of it) and at the same time indulge myself with a couple of cars and a bunch of car model shots.

First stop---the Oblation Monument!  Believe it or not but this is actually the first time that I came up close and personal with this naked man.  Truly!  I spent six years in the university and the only time I was at this building was when I was courting the Chancellors to consider my extended stay and finish my degree.  (Yep, I almost got myself booted out for overstaying but that's for another story.)  Anyway, so there I was standing in front of the naked rendition of Fernando Poe Sr. and I had this feeling of closure that I have now completed my PEYUPS experience.  




My PEYUPS experience is now complete.
Me and Mr. Poe, Sr.

It was a surreal feeling going back to the university.  It was as if I was back during my college days going about the daily business of school, seeing the familiar places that I pass and while a way my spare time between class intervals.

Being an Art Studies major I was at the College of Arts and Letters a lot.  We have a library there and it's an ideal place to shut off the hustle and bustle of the hallways concentrate on studying or simply chill on a hot day.  Ok, it's more because of the airconditioning that I go there!



CAL is the second building after the Vargas Museum and the second jeepney stop after the Administration Building along Roxes Avenue. 


This is the pathway from the CAL building (right side)
and Palma Hall (left side) where the street vendors ply
their wares.  Fishball is my favorite.
These Acacia trees provide shelter when the sun
is high and during a slight drizzle.
Joggers are a common sight in UP.

And then there's Palma Hall.  I believe I have spent majority of my college life in the different classrooms here.  Some of my notable classmates were Chuck Isidro, Wency Cornejo, Sarah Jane Paez, and Dong Abay.  Art Studies classes are held at the second floor of the left wing (if you're facing it) of this building. 






On a school day, I'd be the one doing this.
The CAL Registrar's Office.  I can still remember the time
when I first went here after I did not make the quota for
Philosophy and was advised to take on Art Studies instead.
That was 25 years ago.
This pathway at the back of Palma Hall
gave me the creeps---still does!
Hindi ka taga UP kung di mo alam ang Casaa Food Center.  After the CAL Registrar's Office, Casaa was the next UP establishment that I was introduced to some 25 years ago.  Being the premiere canteen of the university, it is always packed with students on break.  Needless to day, after my first introduction, I did not eat here anymore.  I'm not into crowded places (if I could help it) so this is not a place for me.  




I did have my own place of solitude where I eat and read.  Along Roces Avenue where the Sunken Garden can be found is an Acacia tree where I would sit, eat, read and sleep between class intervals.  Actually, this is the only place where I can do all four activities without being reprimanded.  One time I was on my break I felt sleepy after reading the newspaper and decided to take a nap.  I lay under the tree and put the paper on my face for a little privacy (and as shield for that occasional bird dropping that might adventurously drop straight in my open mouth!).  After what seem to be a restful sleep I awake and find my newspaper drenched with perspiration as the sun shone directly on my personal space.  When I took off the newspaper I saw a couple of students staring at me.  I guess they might have thought that I was a salvage victim!  

If I just wish to read, chill, and get a shut eye, the Library is another place I go to.  Of course mas masarap pa din sa Art Studies Office sa CAL building kasi may aircon!


Haaaaayyyy!  Buhay PEYUPS!  Masarap balik-balikan!

No comments:

Post a Comment