Nuffnang Ad

Friday, February 15, 2013

Books: NOTHING TO FEAR (Lessons in Leadership from FDR) by Alan Axelrod


After reading humor books by RJ Ledesma and Ramon Bautista, it's time to shift to some serious material to occupy my lull times (which is usually when I'm in the bathroom dumping away or in waiting lines).  

I got this book (hardbound) from a thrift shop and I must say that at Php 50 this is a steal!  I'm already halfway through and I find it very insightful and inspiring.  This is currently the source of most of my Quote of the Day at work and my Facebook wall posts. 

The author, Alan Axelrod, goes through Franklin Delano Roosevelt's many speeches and Fireside Chats and dissected how FDR steered America through the Prohibition, the economic depression, and the Second World War with the power of his words and punctuated by his actions.  FDR, unlike his contemporary leaders Hitler, Mussolini, and Hirohito, was no tyrant.  He got what wanted from the American people by inspiring action---a trait of a true leader.

FDR made no promises.  Instead, he made contracts with his constituents in the premise that in order to achieve something, work must be done.  After laying down the TRUE state of the nation, he laid down that tasks at hand and the role of the people in helping the government achieve their goal towards nations building.  He empowered his constituents to create their destiny by contributing their share of the work that must be done.  

Must read book for leaders in any capacity! 

No comments:

Post a Comment