Nuffnang Ad

Thursday, June 4, 2015

iHOPing @ Fairview Terraces

For all of you food-trippers out there, here's one of the restaurant reviews that I did at Tripadvisor.  Pictures posted at the site.
----------

Finally, the long wait is over. I think it was early 2013 that my boss talked about this new pancake house which opened in BGC and wanted our team to try it out. Unfortunately, the opportunity to do so did not come up.

Early 2014, an iHOP sign was put up in what was soon to be a branch at Fairview Terraces. I was Pavlov’s dog again salivating in anticipation of getting my first bite of the famous pancake. However, it proved to be a long wait---until last May 23 when their branch finally opened for business.

I knew opening day would be a disastrous time to go for a visit (besides, it was not payday yet and I’m expecting a big hole in my wallet given iHOP’s prima pancake prices) so I bided my time for the right opportunity. Such opportunity came last May 31, when, during a bookstore run at Fairview Terraces, we found open seats at iHOP and immediately got ourselves a couch. 

I ordered for a New York Cheesecake Pancake (Php 245 VAT-in) with bottomless brewed coffee (Php 95) and my wife opted for a Strawberry Banana Pancake (Php 265) partnered with Iced Coffee Mocha (Php 145). It’s a bit stiff for a coffee and pancake trip but the redeeming factor is that the pancake portion was enough to really fill you up. However, it was not the pancake texture that I want. It kind of reminds me of the pancake plate of Seattle’s Best: big portion and filling but dry and hard. If I’m to score Seattle’s Best’s pancake as a 4, then iHOP’s is a 6. You’d be filled but you won’t really be satisfied. Personally, I like my pancake “soft and fluffy”. 

So, will I come back for second servings of their pancake? No (Unless curiosity would get the better of me to try their Original Buttermilk Pancake.). 

Well, the pancake may not have been a good experience but the coffee was not. First, their coffee is always freshly brewed. Second, it is served in a thermos readily at your disposal (Each thermos contains two coffee servings; so if you’re a real coffee junkie you can always order for another fresh brew for a wait time of two minutes). You can actually trip on their coffee the whole day while you work on an assignment (I’m not sure though if there’s an outlet that you can plug your device into to actually make it through the whole day.). If you’re going to do this, I’d also suggest you bring along a headset to cancel out the buzz of the almost always packed dining area. 

Service is also quite commendable. Very accommodating and genuinely engaging staff. 

Am I looking forward to going back to iHOP again? Yes. I would like to try their Sirloin Steak Tip Dinner and their Specialty Fried Chicken Dinner (I saw a customer order this and got a glimpse of how big the servings were. Looks delicious too!) but it would not be on the immediate future. The timing would be for a special date or when bonus comes. As I’ve mentioned, the bill can be a bit pricey.

No comments:

Post a Comment